he Directorate of Economics and Statistics of Odisha was originally created as a small cell under Planning and Reconstruction Department in 1950 and continued to function till 1956. Thereafter the Cell was transferred to the control of Finance Department. The Cell was declared as a separate Directorate in the name of Bureau of Statistics and Economics on 01.05.1958. Realising the functional association with planning machinery the State Government back this Directorate to the administrative control of Planning and Co-ordination Department in 1961. In 1987 the Organisation was renamed as Directorate of Economics and Statistics.
The Directorate has been declared as Nodal Agency by the Government vide letter no. 4004 dated 20.03.2009. For co-ordinating statistical activities in the State. The Director, Economics and Statistics has been declared as the Nodal Officer by the Government for developing an efficient statistical system in the State vide letter no. 10548 dated 26.08.2011.